Inter-league. Inter-region. Inter-club.
We’ve perfected the online extemp club.
Over the last three years, hundreds of Ethos extemp students excelled past their wildest dreams. As they did, we learned a few lessons about how to improve and run the best online extemp club in the business. If you like to dream as big as we do, check out what’s included in your yearly membership:
- Shorter meetings. A few years we shortened our meeting time to 90 mins vs. two hours. And we’re doing earlier meeting times, too.
- Everything’s recorded. Have to miss a few sessions? Don’t worry – we use Zoom online meeting and recording software to make sure you aren’t actually missing a thing.
- More extemp coaching. You spoke, we listened. Our club is no longer just a research club: we’re incorporating extemp coaching and drills into every meeting, every week. You’ll receive coaching on both form and content.
- Convenient meeting days. When it’s tournament season, we don’t want you to miss anything. That’s why Monday nights are still Extemp Nights.
- More coaches. Guest speakers too. Why have one extemp champion when you could have several?
- Rotating student presentations. We know – every student presenting their current events every week was tedious. That’s why we now assign specific topics to specific students for rotating presentations.
- Extemp Genie. Automatic filing is the future. Every extemp software offers it now. We know you love Extemp Genie, so we’re purchasing a team package: all included in your club fee.
Why join National Extemp Club?
An entire nation as your club
It’s simple. Different leagues, regions, and clubs as one. Extemp champions guiding you. Not to mention the perks. Every student receives access to Extemp Genie, so you don’t have the weight (or price) of researching alone! Students have rotating assignments every week in 90-minute meetings. These meetings will be held every Monday at 7:00 – 8:30 PM EST. We will break down the weeks into form and content. Weeks one and three focus on content. Weeks two and four focus on form. Students will receive assignments ahead of time, and everyone will receive assignments at least every other week. If a student has a consistent conflict, let us know and we will work something out. Every student has tournament call/text support from your coaches. You have the entire extemp nation researching alongside you. You have champion extempers as your coaches. You have on-call coaches for tournaments. You have focused high-quality research. You have all the tools to be this year’s extemp champion.
Sign ups are open through September 30, 2019. Our first meeting will be October 7th, 2019. We’re also capping sign-ups at 65 students. Don’t miss out! Sign up below!
Is the economist subscription still included from previous years?
Yes – Extemp Genie includes it in its filing pool!
Are the sessions recorded in a case a student has to miss one week (or several)?
The sessions will be recorded and archived.
How do you make sure everyone does their part in contributing?
As for making sure everyone does their part and contributes, students will be required to brief the entire club out loud on a rotating schedule during our weekly meetings. If students miss over two meetings a semester (barring extreme circumstances), they will be kicked out. And yes, we are actually serious about our attendance policy and the work students will be required to put in.
Head Coach Emily Rose is the 2015 Region 8 Extemp Champion, multi-time national quarterfinalist, and multi-time extemp tournament champion. She writes extemp questions for various NCFCA/STOA tournaments and is the founder of Ethos National Extemp Club. Emily has also debated for seven years and is Ethos’ Vice President. You can read her full bio here.
Other coaches to be added soon…stay tuned.