Who is Jadon?
Jadon is a sophomore at Hillsdale College studying economics and philosophy. Jadon serves as Vice-President of the Hillsdale debate honorary and currently competes in both policy (NFA) and parliamentary (NPDA) debate at the collegiate level.
As a Stoa alumnus, Jadon was co-captain of his high school debate club, where he successfully competed in team policy, individual policy, and parliamentary debate, along with many speech events. He also competed in the American Legion Oratorical Contest as a high school senior, where he placed 3rd in Illinois.
Jadon has done coaching in the past for several debate camps hosted by his former high school speech and debate club Chicago CHARGE, giving lectures and doing one-on-one coaching at the novice, intermediate, and advanced levels. He’s had experience in almost every kind of debate at some level or another, and frequently returns home to judge high school debate tournaments.
When he’s not frantically cutting cards for his ever-expanding Aff block, Jadon can be found sipping strong coffee and playing guitar, writing music, reading philosophy, or playing chess.
In terms of return on time investment, Jadon believes that there is almost no other activity in existence that can provide more value than competitive high school debate. It teaches so much, but it does only because students love to do it—debate channels the inherent competitiveness in youth into something productive. If debate weren’t fun, then that would drastically undermine the efficacy of the activity.
As such, Jadon looks at debate as a game, one that has very strong educational aspects to it, but also has a real fun side. His goal is to get students excited about the activity and the potential one can reach by participating. There’s so much to about high school debate that’s under the surface, and the only way to experience it is to jump in and learn.
- Octo-finalist at the 2018 NFA-LD Policy Nationals (nationally ranked top 16 as a freshman)
- Quarter-finalist at the 2018 WKU Policy Tournament.
- Parliamentary debate co-champion at Bowling Green University Tournament two years in a row (2017 and 2018), one of the most competitive NPDA tournaments in the Midwest.
- Received Best Newcomer Award from the Hillsdale College debate team.
- Team policy finalist at the 2017 IPTOC tournament, semi-finalist at several other tournaments in the year, debated at NITOC.
- Received dozens of first, second, and third place trophies in competitive speech events such as Apologetics, Extemp, and Original Oratory at tournaments in Illinois and in the Midwest.